Demerol, Demerol HCl, meperidine
Demerol is a painkiller, similar to morphine. It is used to treat moderate/severe pain.
Demerol can be prescribed as a tablet, injection or syrup.
The usual adult dose is 50mg to 150mg, taken every three/four hours as prescribed by the doctor or as necessary for pain.
It is habit forming and much sought after by narcotic addicts. Demerol is usually obtained by the abuser through fraudulent prescriptions or theft.
The tablets are often dissolved and injected as a substitute for heroin.
Side effects include:
- weak or shallow breathing, slow heartbeat;
- severe drowsiness, feeling like you might pass out;
- seizure (convulsions);
- cold, clammy skin;
- muscle movements you cannot control;
- confusion, mood changes;
- severe weakness or dizziness; or
- agitation, hallucinations, fever, fast heart rate